Monday, January 4, 2010

Book Review for HFBRT Event- NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRIAGES, BY Leslie Carroll




Today is the Big Kick-Start Event at Historical Fiction Bloggers Round Table, featuring Leslie Carroll's new book:  
NOTORIOUS ROYAL MARRRIAGES- released Tuesday, January 5th.




I read the book and loved it!  Here's my review...


Be prepared for an enchanting time with a story teller who’s sure to become one of your favourite raconteurs of the past.  Leslie Carroll, author of Notorious Royal Marriages, promises you a memorable date with history; be sure to bring your own wine…you’re staying up late tonight.
Notorious Royal Marriages, by Leslie Carroll focuses on some of the most renowned royal couples in history.  The stories include European monarchs from as early as the 12th c all the way to Charles and Camilla. Although some of these stories are well-known to many of us, there are so many unheard of-before-juicy details that beg to be told, and this is splendidly done in a friend to friend-sit-back and let me tell you-kind of way.  Leslie Carroll has an incredible knack for stirring up curiosity; leading you to reading each chapter without skipping a beat. I just had to keep on reading to find out more.
If you think this is going to be just another non-fiction factual type of read- you’re so wrong! Yes, you’ll learn the history and a lot more interesting stuff than you might have read somewhere else before- but that’s not all.  Notorious Royal Marriages is also thought-provoking; another way to look at things; a different take on what you previously knew.  This book will not leave you unmarked- it will definitely bring up controversy and maybe even nudge you the wrong way.  Leslie Carroll tells it as it is- whether you like it or not.  Don’t be surprised if after reading about your favourite historical figure, he/she might have lost some of the shine; or, it may be quite possible that the royal you’ve always most despised, comes out looking like he had some very good reason…
Whether you agree with the history or not, Notorious Royal Marriages will open up a whole new set of questions and curiosities, setting the stage for great discussion-Just like a Pandora’s Box waiting to be opened. You’ll only be wishing that the author could be right there with you sharing or opposing in the juiciest gossip ever told.
Who did I enjoy reading about the most?  By far, Victoria and Albert- what a romance! 
What did I like the least about some of these royals?  Well, we already know a great deal about their incestuous ways…this still gets me every time.  However, I’ll have to say that Edward VIII, I found pretty revolting (morally, regally and politically).
After all this, who do I still love, love, love?  Well, Josephine, Marie-Antoinette, Sophia Dorothea, and Princess Diana, will always have my heart.
Extremely entertaining read!

For a list of week-long fun-filled events, check out the  HFBRT Calendar of Events.
Today, check out Allie's place where Leslie Carroll will guest post.  And- at Amy's  place, she has a wonderful creative post on Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.







12 comments:

brokenteepee said...

Sounds like a good one! Never gave much thought to Edward VIII and now I am curious and off to google...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insider look at what's juicy in this book. I'm waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail. I expect to devour it in a day or so!

Tudor Daughter said...

Great review! Perfect for the kick off. This is so much fun. I have enjoyed reading Allie's guest post and Amy's creative post as well.

Unknown said...

I love the intro paragraph! It is so true! Great review!

Joy Jones said...

Hi Lucy! Oooh this book sounds like a good one. On the list it goes! I wanted to come by and say a big THANK YOU for the sweet comment you left about my blog being published in Romantic Homes. It really is a thrill, but it’s also a thrill to connect with such kind bloggers like you. Thanks again and best wishes for a wonderful 2010! ~ xo Joy

Lizzie said...

Lucy good review, I am down to my last 20 pages or so on it. I am loving it too.

Michelle Stockard Miller said...

Oh, I really want to read this, especially after reading her guest post over at Allie's! It's on my list!

Lucy said...

Pricilla- You'll get all the juicy gossip in Notorious Royal Marriages. Check him out on google too..but before this book I didn't know all that about Edward- they often make it sound like such a love story- which it definitely was not! Thanks:)

Christine- You will love it- and yes, you'll devour it, cause it's impossible to put down. Thanks:)

Thanks Susie- Can't wait to read your posts too! I wanna read your review-I'm sure you'll be raving about it:)

Heather-It's so true- that's exactly how I felt about this book. Thanks:)

Joy-Bet you will find plenty of material and new royals to inspire your creations from this book! Have a wonderful New Year too. Thanks! Hugs:)

Lizzy- The last part on Diana and Charles taught me so much more than I knew (and I thought I knew all there was to know on this..hmm..threesome couple..)Thanks!

Hey Truebookaddict- Get this book fast- it's a must for history buffs who like a bit of spice and gossip in their non-fiction reads. Thanks:)

BurtonReview said...

Glad you enjoyed the book! I am looking forward to everyone's thoughts this week.. and I can't wait to read it as well!
It keeps calling me =) and now you really got it screaming at me!
Maybe I can squeeze it in 2 books from now.

Svea Love said...

Here is a little something for you! Come over and check it out :)

http://muse-in-the-fog.blogspot.com/2010/01/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Allie ~ Hist-Fic Chick said...

Excellent review, Lucy! I completely agree with how you describe the feeling of this book! I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to reading everyone else's posts this week. It's so exciting!

May said...

It really is a pity about Diana and Charles. It *looked* so perfect at the outset. But the fairytale would rapidly turn into a nightmare. So sad.