Monday, March 16, 2009

A Venetian Palazzo Series





Venice is filled with absolutely gorgeous historical palaces. So I thought I’d start a series of posts on some of the most beautiful ones I know. Here you’ll find some historical information of interest as well as some beautiful photos that will entice anyone with a taste for royal luxury and the past.

When in Venice…Do as the Empress.

There are so many beautiful palaces in Venice that I had a hard time deciding which I should begin with. I finally decided on Palazzo Moretti Pisani for my first post, since this is the palace in which Josephine stayed while in Venice during the Revolution period.

Built in the 15th century, this Gothic style palace underwent many renovations that ended in the 18th century. Wonderful artists of the 18th century were responsible for the beautiful Baroque interiors; namely, Giambattista Tiepolo (see the magnificent ceiling he painted!), Jacopo Guarana, Gaspare Diziani and Giuseppe Angeli. This absolutely stunning palace, definitely fit for an Empress, hosted other famous Royals such as Tzar Paul of Russia and Joseph II of Austria.

Please come in…




From inside Sala delle Stampe Photograph by Gianluigi Trivellato from 'Venetian Palazzi' (Evergreen, 1998)

For fine dining...





A Majestic hall...




For Josephine's beauty sleep...



What a beautifully detailed corner...




Exquisite draperies







Mesmerizing...




Looking upto heaven...




This ceiling was painted by Tiepolo



Good night Venice the Serene...




Source: http://www.pisanimoretta.com
www.yourweddinginvenice.com
www.procorbis.com





15 comments:

Ingrid Mida said...

Wow! What a beautiful place. I was last in Venice when I was 4 years old. I will have to add Venice to my list of places that I'd like to travel to. It looks too beautiful to be real.

May said...

Magnificent!

sallymandy said...

Gorgeous. My husband has been to all the places I want to go, including Venice. I hope when this recession's over, it will be my turn. Thanks for the photos. Love the interior shots (have to say the bedroom looks a little daunting.)

Unknown said...

Lucy! OMG! I am in awe! It is so grand and so beautiful! That Dining Room, That Red cornewr, the light fixtures! My goodness! Amazing, Lovely post, I can't wait ot see the rest of the Palazzo's! :) Wonderful, wow, I still can't get over that dining room!
xoxo
Judith~

Lucy said...

Ingrid! that was too long ago-you NEED to go back (so do I by the way:)Let's plan it!

Thanks, Matterhorn! I think that's the perfect way to describe it.

Hi Sallymandy, I'm glad you like the photos- the exterior in no way reflects what's going on inside- which is so beautiful, but I'm with you about the bedroom...something about Venetian bedrooms; they're always rather sombre...hmm

Allo ma belle Judith, I somehow knew you'd love that dining room. Imagine feasting in there! But,I'm in awe with the ceilings mostly. I'll be posting more on this- I'm so happy you love it:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
It's been too long since I've been able to visit and what a day to come back! This post is tres magnifique! I love Venice but have never seen these places. Now I want to get back toute de suite!

Lucy said...

Hey Claudia, so glad you stopped by! I want to go back to Venice badly! But for now, I'll be posting more of these palaces for you to enjoy:)

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Lovely vision of Venice, Ms. Lucy. The lighting and fabric is incredible...so lush and mood enhancing.

Thanks for your heartfelt comments at Oasis. I so appreciate your participation. <3

Lucy said...

I feel the same way, Cynthia...Thans so much:)

ceecee said...

Oh how gorgeous! I've always had this dream of living in Venice. Can you just imagine dining in that dining room? The change of light is incredible. Looking forward to more!
Hope you are well. I'm just getting over the flu - a horrible weekend!! But feeling better and ready for more blog fun!
All the best,
Catherine

Lucy said...

Hello Catherine! Thanks for your kind comment. Wouldn't it be wonderful to dine in that dining room? I think your rose centerpiece would look divine in there. Hope you're feeling better- I'll be visiting you:)

May said...

Lucy, once again, these are such incredible photos! Thanks.

What do you think of the plays by Shakespeare that are set in Venice? (I guess that's a big topic for a comment, but I just wondered )

Lucy said...

Thank you so much Matterhorn!

Shakespeare! I immediately think of Romeo and Juliette, set in Verona, in the Veneto region; certainly an idea for a future post;) Thanks!

Edwardsolcq said...

Thank you so much Matterhorn! Shakespeare! I immediately think of Romeo and Juliette, set in Verona, in the Veneto region; certainly an idea for a future post;) Thanks!

Sandrakiad said...

Lovely vision of Venice, Ms. Lucy. The lighting and fabric is incredible...so lush and mood enhancing. Thanks for your heartfelt comments at Oasis. I so appreciate your participation. <3