Friday, February 24, 2012

Napoleon’s Favourite Hang Out Place...

Winding cobblestone streets and a back road lane transformed by a colourful mish mash of cozy tete a tete tables where lovers dine and and sip their wine near merchants selling their fruit- a very bubbly and happening place this short winding street.  This is where by pure chance I stumbled upon the back way entrance to the very famous “ Le Procope”.
This happens to be the cafe where Napoleon used to hang out! At the very entrance there’s even his hat! The story has it that during his ‘poor’ days, Napoleon pawned his hat to be able to pay his bill.
This is more than a charming place- it’s filled with history.  The whole place is decorated with memorabilia of the times and photos cover the walls. There is a lovely room upstairs where Napoleon and his political crowd gathered for discussions, good wine and great food.
Disappointed that we had already had lunch (cause apparently the place serves the finest French delicacies), hubby and I settled for their renowned coffee and sorbet (apparently still the same recipe!!) – delicious:) The staff was also extremely kind to us (seems like all of Paris was enthralled with our Quebec accent;) Anyway, they let us roam the place and take some photos. I think I had the best time in Paris right in this very place where Nappy himself enjoyed himself most.  Memorable. Honestly, I think I felt his presence more here than Malmaison!

 This is the cozy upstairs-attic room where all the political action happened.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Lucy! I love the photos & I love the history of that fabulous place. I can't to visit :) I am enjoying reading of your glorious trip and all of your adventures! Happy weekend.
xoxo
Judy

Unknown said...

How very cool! Isn't it wonderful the things that you can quite literally stumble upon?!

Lucy said...

Hi Judy!! I'm so happy you stopped by:) I really miss Paris and can't wait to visit again. Have a great weekend xo


Hey Heather! I could not believe my eyes when I saw this place. I was literally pulled in and who would have thought- very exciting. Thanks:)

Lana said...

How very exciting for you! I was just reading a historical novel set in Paris during the World Fair, and apparently Le Procope used to be a favorite hangout for Jules Verne as well - wish I had been lucky enough to stumble across it. Thanks for the lovely photos!

BurtonReview said...

Fabulous how you just stumbled upon it.. How awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
This is my first time commenting but I've been reading your blog for a while. It's so awesome that you just stumbled on Le Procope! The pictures look great, I'll have to make sure I visit there next time I'm in Paris!
Thanks,
Gina

Anonymous said...

Hi Lucy,
This is my first time commenting but I've been reading your blog for a while. It's so awesome that you just stumbled on Le Procope! The pictures look great, I'll have to make sure I visit there next time I'm in Paris!
Thanks,
Gina