Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Review: Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen




Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen

This fantabulous classic was part of my read for the Everything Austen Challenge. My love for anything and everything Victorian has helped me embrace this novel set in the Regency Period, and so, naturally I fell in love with this timeless piece. This story of the very different Dashwood sisters and their clashing tastes in their choices of men to love, was endearing as well as very frustrating at times. Just when I thought the obvious about Colonel Brandon, Edward or Willoughby- the story took a different turn just to add to the intrigue of it all; classic Austen at its best.

The story revolves around love-sickness, love-triangles, a marriage of convenience, age and love, differences of choices and opinions, wealth and social status, influence, family conflict, secret-filled pasts and ultimately…and appropriately so: sense and sensibility. I’m still not sure which of the sisters I concurred with the most; Elinor or Marianne... Austen brilliantly shifts us from one perception to the other while embracing both depending on the situation. Ultimately the girls’ reconciliation and love for eachother blends the disparities of state helping them come to terms with their own serenity. Love can then be found and accepted under a new light.

Sense and Sensibility is a light read embedded with deeper meaning that brings comfort, peaks interest and offers a colourful variety of figures (the comical busy-body Miss Jennings is indeed very special!) On the whole, this read meshed excitement, passion, drama as well as ‘sagesse’ in the lives of two otherwise very ordinary ladies of the times. The book doesn’t skip a beat with essential meanings and turn of events within every paragraph- With this one, you won’t want to blink:)

One can never get enough of elegantly written suspense-filled love twists and pangs. At least I can't- Loved it!

-

7 comments:

Lizzie said...

I picked this one too for the challenge. I loved the movie too. Great review I love it when it is short and to the point.

May said...

This is probably my favorite Austen novel.

Maria Grazia said...

Well, S&S is one of my best loved with PERSUASION. I don't know why but I always loved these two ones more than P&P. Excellent review, Lucy!

Undine said...

I've only read Pride & Prejudice, but I've been meaning to read this one for a while now. You've inspired me to move it towards the top of my to-read list!

sallymandy said...

Love your review Ms Lucy. And I love the story. Thanks for your visit today. ♥

Arleigh said...

I listened to this one on CD last year and really enjoyed it! I like the movie as well :)

BurtonReview said...

Ah Another to add to my list, this sounds like a great Austen read.